2018 New Mexico Medical Society Convention Webinars
Below you will find videos from the 2018 “Building Bridges within the Profession” convention. The videos were recorded for those that were not able to attend the convention, and for those that would like to receive CME credits for watching the videos.
These enduring materials have been planned an implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the New Mexico Medical Society (NMMS) through the joint providership of Rehoboth McKinley Christian Health Care Services (RMCHCS) and the NMMS. RMCHCS is accredited by the NMMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. RMCHCS designates this enduring material for a maximum of 11.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s) TM Each physician should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. This enduring material is accredited from September 14, 2018 through September 13, 2021.
To receive credit, please watch the full video and then follow through to the CME Payment form to receive your CME certificate. If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com or call us at (505) 828-0237.
By: E. Michael Lewiecki MD
- Chararacterize the origins of the osteoporosis treatment gap
- Identify patients who can benefit from osteoporosis treatment
- Describe pharmacological options for reducing fracture risk
By: Francine Caffey MD
- Understand the Epidemiology of Pediatric Asthma in New Mexico
- Review Pediatric Asthma Guidelines
- Review Asthma Medications and Delivery Devices with Focus on Technique Required and Age Appropriateness
By: Joshua Fristoe
- Understand the importance of physical security and the direct impact on cyber security.
- Gain insight into the employee role in cyber security.
- Gain a better understanding of the appropriate company policies to set expectations and legally protect yourself.
By: Liz Lawrence MD
- Define clinician wellness and burnout
- Describe the prevalence, causes, and consequences of clinician burnout
- Review evidence-based methods to prevent burnout and foster engagement
By: Muhammad Chohan MD
& Rex Jung PhD
- To understand oncological and functional goals in glioma surgery
- To understand the difference between anatomical and functional brain mapping
- To understand limitations of modern functional brain mapping techniques and superiority of awake brain mapping
- To introduce brain mapping program at University of New Mexico
By: Steven M. Jenkusky, MD, Member and Chair
Sondra Frank, JD, Executive Director
- Participants will obtain an understanding of the medical licensure process, including suggestions to avoid delays in obtain one’s license, and what to report when renewing one’s license.
- Participants will learn what events need to be reported to the board more immediately, instead of waiting for renewal.
- Participants will appreciate what forms of behavior often lead to board disciplinary action, and the levels of action are at the board’s disposal.
- Participants will develop an understanding of the role of the NM Health Professionals Wellness Program (formerly the NM Monitored treatment Program).
By: David Scrase MD
- Articulate current trends in Senior population growth, and New Mexico’s ranking among states in 2030
- Understand the impact of demographic changes on our need for healthcare delivery services in New Mexico
- Describe one option to use technology to enable Seniors to “age in place” longer
By: Linda Macdonald MD
- Counsel patients about dietary strategies to promote overall health
- Counsel patients about optimal dietary carbohydrate intake
- Counsel patient about optimal dietary fat intake
By: Itzhak Nir MD, FACS
The lecture will provide the audience with an up to-date review of the literature. This will be followed by sharing the UNM’s experience, from the inception to the full implementation of the program. To come full circle, safety and quality outcomes will be shared, to include ongoing prospective research projects. To encourage audience participation, open controversies, and uncertainties will be objectively presented, for the closing section.
By: Rohini McKee MD, FACS
- Describe the microcirculatory response to sepsis including alterations in inflammation, coagulation and fibrinolysis
- and their correlation to multiple organ dysfunction and death.
- Review the status of the Surviving Sepsis Campaign and revised treatment guidelines and care bundles.
- Understand quality reporting requirements for post-operative sepsis and other Patient Safety Indicators (PSI)
By: Bridget Fahy MD, FACS
- Review the different types of pain experienced by surgical patients
- Key elements of pain assessment
- Developing an effective plan for postoperative pain control
By: Rebecca Dutton MD
- List the five (5) most common running-related injuries.
- Distinguish between intrinsic and extrinsic risk factors for running-related injuries.
- Develop a systematic approach to identify risk factors for running-related injuries and in turn guide early diagnosis and recommendations for prevention.